Friday, May 2, 2008

The decision is made

Dr. Day, the cardiologist called me at work the other night so we could discuss the possibilities of how to help Ashton. He is such a nice guy and spends so much time helping us understand things. Sometimes we wonder if he ever sees his family because he is always helping his patients. So we made a decision on what to do. We will do a catheter which will be scheduled in June sometime. In the cath. there are three things they want to try to achieve. First off he will try to open up the shunt that has closed off. I have been worried that the clot may go up instead of down, but the dr. said he would not do anything if it looked to risky to try to remove. The second thing is to try to clean up the area in the left artery going to his lungs that had a stent but then that got cut apart and they put in a homographt. He just wants to make sure there is nothing starting to block off that artery. Third, he will coil some colaterals, which are small veins but have gotten bigger because more blood has gone to them looking for oxygen. A coil in them will not let as much blood flow through, or he may stop all blood flow if it looks like it is too big. If he is not able to open up the shunt then we would have to have a surgery done, which I assume would be at another time, to put in a new shunt. They are using a new type of shunt and the surgery to put it in is easier than in the past. I know this is a lot of information and it may be a lot of foreign information to some of you, but after talking to Dr. Day I feel good about the decisions we have made. We will keep praying and ask for your prayers also. We decided to have it in June so we will be out of school and we can get Ambrea through graduation.

6 comments:

Recovery Guru said...

I am happy to hear that everything is decided and that you feel good about the procedures that Ashton will be getting! I am sure that June will feel like it is coming way to fast, but I will be praying that your family and Ashton will be able to make it through this next surgery with out any problems! Good Luck Ashton! -Caralee

Unknown said...

I'm glad that you have such a nice doctor. We will be praying for all of your family, as well as the doctor and nurses who will perform the surgery. We love you!

Pam said...

Hi there, I saw your blog on Caralee's blog. I just wanted to second your opinion on Dr. Day.

My little guy Rhett would not be alive if it weren't for Dr. Day. He is AMAZING.

Rhett has pulmonary hypertension, and a repaired AV canal, PDA, and pulmonary stenosis.

It never ceases to amaze me that when we end up admitted to PCMC Dr. Day comes into our room without us even knowing he knows we are there.

I am glad you have a plan of action, and we will keep you in our thoughts and prayers. Do you mind if I add you to our blog list?

((HUGS))

Pam and Rhett

carolyn q said...

WaHoo, I am glad that I found your new blog!
It was great to talk with you last week and I look forward to meeting you when you are PCMC. I am sorry that Ashton has to have another surgery so soon, I will be keeping him and your family in my prayers.
I would also like to add you to my blog of heart friends too.
Heart Hugs,
Carolyn Quigley

MAYBERRY said...

This is graet now we know what it is.

MAYBERRY said...

This is graet now we know what it is. From Ashton